The 2017 F.S.R.A. F350 / Post Classic /

Pre-Injection Championship

Round 2 - Donington Park - N.G.R.R.C.

Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th May

Words - Marianne Walford

Photographs - Haydn Wyatt

Thank you to hosts N.G. Racing, trophy sponsors Lane Building Services and raffle sponsors Pagid Brakes.

The weather remained dry both days, despite some big grey clouds and a little shower on Saturday. Most people had an enjoyable weekend, although there were a couple of exceptions!

With the F350 entrant Pat Gallagher not showing, and Dave Tibbles’ post classic FJ1100 failing to start, it was an all pre-injection line up for the first race on Saturday. With Marianne Walford injured in a trail riding accident shortly after Oulton Park, the number 36 outfit was piloted by Stuart Anderson, who was also racing his own outfit in the British F2 Cup. Wesley Pettman with his father Tom in the chair, was another rider doing both championships, on his Windle Thundercat.

The first race was red flagged with an incident involving a club F1’s at the Old Hairpin, both driver and passenger were OK. A reduced distance race of 5 laps was led by Stuart Anderson and Kerry Hughes, with Wesley and Tom Pettman in hot pursuit. Hayley Capewell and Sarah Stokoe had a good battle with Jody and Reece Sims, missing third position by just over a second! Gerald and Daniel Hodgson were a little adrift in 5th place, with Ian Sutcliffe and Rob Bryant bringing up the rear on their Jacobs Thundercat which was not running very well.

The second race on Saturday was destined to be the only full distance race of the weekend, but even it was not without incident. The marshals at the end of the race came out too early and showed the red flag to several outfits who had not taken the chequered flag. Some pulled in and stopped but others were trying to continue. The resulting chaos allowed the Pettmans to get past Anderson and Hughes and take the win. The all lady pairing of Capewell and Stokoe got the better of the Sims this time, with the Hodgson pairing much closer – less than 3 seconds splitting these three outfits. Dave Tibbles and Mark Edwards came out for the race, but didn’t finish, while Sutcliffe / Bryant sat this one out! After no finishes from the first four races this year, Tibbles and Edwards took the decision to change back to their old engine during the evening.

Sundays race one was run over a reduced distance of 5 laps. After the red flag came out for a start-line incident, Anderson/ Hughes took the class lead from the start, with Pettman’s a few seconds behind. Capewell/ Stokoe again led the Simms, who led the Hodgsons Both Sutcliffe/Bryant and Tibbles/Edwards finished the race but neither machine was right. The Tibbles machine sounded like it was only running on three instead of four.

The last race of the weekend got off to a good start, with the Pettman’s overhauled by Anderson/Hughes who took advantage of the distraction of another competitors machine failure. Jody and Reece Simms got past Capewell/Stokoe, with Tibbles/Edwards brought their outfit home in 6th place ahead of Sutcliffe/Bryant.

The Pagid raffle was won by the ladies team of Capewell/Stokoe. All the teams were pleased to see walking wounded, Marianne Walford and Mark Burns, were sporting purple and blue wrist plasters, while the not-quite-walking wounded Steve Winfrow had gone for orange on his foot – may be to match the colour their outfit was? They are hoping to return to the championship in July, although the bike needs a lot of sorting out.

With Jody and Reece Sims intention to compete in all the remaining rounds, while the Pettmans hope to take in selected rounds. Capewell/Stokoe continue to lead the Championship.