The 2017 F.S.R.A. F350 / Post Classic /

Pre-Injection Championship

Round 6 - Mallory Park - E.M.R.A.

Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th September

Words - Marianne Walford

Photographs - Dirk Wharton

It was good to have former 2010 Post Classic champions Greg Noble and Rob Sztajnert on their Ham-Yam TZ750 join the grid for the first time this year, along with Chimay and Gedinne road specialists Simon Horton and Steve Broadstock on their FJ1200. Unfortunately championship leaders Hayley Capewell and Sarah Stokoe were unable to participate as Hayley was recovering from an operation ten days previously.

Grey clouds were looming before the first race, and then the rain came too late for some crews to change wheels. Dave Tibbles, Wesley Pettman and Gordon Jones had gambled on rain and changed to wets. Mark Burns and Simon fitted rear wets, but everyone else was on slicks all round. It must have been the slowest warm up ever, with everyone tiptoeing round seeing how much/little grip there was!

Dave and Raitch Greenwood got a good start, but Simon and Steve overhauled them to take the win. Wesley Pettman and Lee Saunders-Stewart took third, followed by Jody and Reece Sims on slicks. Mark and Steve Winfrow, Gordon and Julie, Ian Sutcliffe and Rob Bryant and Marianne Walford and Kerry Hughes were changing places for a few laps, finishing in that order. Gerald and Daniel Hodgson couldn’t see a thing and were not enjoying the conditions but kept going to finish in 9th place, earning 4 valuable points. Greg and Rob didn’t start due to the conditions.

Sunday was cloudier, but luckily the rain held off for our races.

Greg and Rob got a flyer of a start but the pace proved too much for Rob who suffered with arm pump, and had to pull in. Simon and Steve came through to take the win. Wesley and Lee, Simon and Steve and Jody and Reece had a good race and crossed the finish line within a second of each other! Mark and Steve tried hard, but it was Dave and Raitch who stayed ahead. Marianne and Kerry took 6th, Ian and Rob 7th. Gerald and Daniel and Gordon and Julie both failed to finish.

In our final race of the weekend, Greg and Rob showed their true form, finishing 11 seconds ahead of a rejuvenated Gordon and Julie on the F350. There was a gap then to Jody and Reece on their Thundercat, with Dave and Raitch on the FJ1200 taking third. Wesley was suffering electrical issues with his Thundercat intermittently cutting out, but got enough drive to take 4th from Ian and Rob, with Marianne and Kerry and Gerald and Daniel taking the last two places. Mark’s clutch went on the start, and Simon and Steve withdrew after 6 laps.

Jody and Reece now lead the championship by 21 points from Hayley and Sarah, so luck would have to favour the girls massively for them to regain first place. Wesley is only two points behind them in third, so there could be some surprises in the last round at the Cadwell Park Sidecar Bash on 28th and 29th October.