The 2017 F.S.R.A. F350 / Post Classic /

Pre-Injection Championship

Round 1 - Oulton Park - Wirral 100

Saturday 22nd April

Words - Dave Tibbles

Photographs - Haydn Wyatt

The new season has started and it was Ladies day at Oulton for the first round of the 2017 championship, two out of two wins for newcomers Hayley Capewell and Sarah Stokoe on a 600 Windle Thundercat. The other all lady team Marianne Walford and Kerry Hughes took two second places on their 600 Baker Thundercat.

Missing were last year’s Champions Rob Fisher /Rick Long temporarily out due to Robs Knee replacements also Mark Burns /Steve Winfrow recovering from injuries at a pre-championship meeting.

With perfect weather conditions around the 2.69 mile circuit, qualifying and practice saw no issues reported. Bruce and son Ashley Moore set the pace on their 600R6 Ireson Yamaha; my refurbished FJ1100 Yamaha was going the best it ever had. Gerald and Daniel Hodgson the other father and son team 600 Shellbourne Honda and Ian Sutcliffe /Robert Bryant 600 Jacobs Thundercat both teams very happy with qualifying after preseason engine failures. With the two lady teams going well, race one was set.

Race One

The Moore family disappeared with blistering pace, putting in sub two minute laps mixing it with the British and club champions until lap three when a conrod decided to leave home! That promoted myself and Mark Edwards on our DDR FJ1100 Yamaha to first position. All was going well until lap five of the six where I thought "take it easy and finish", no I earned myself the idiot of the meeting award. I thought I had seen the chequered flag for me but it was for Ricky Stevens and Charlwood entering as a practice run for next week’s BSB round. Because of my mis-interpretation, lack of being able to count to six and pure stupidity I cruised around and pulled in to be awarded a DNF.

Good news for others: Hayley and Sarah took their first win, Marianne and Kerry second, the Hodgson’s third, with newcomers to our sport Sutcliffe /Bryant fifth.

Race Two

With the Moores unable to get their spare engine in time and my frame of mind being slightly distorted with a DNF and having to start from the back of the grid, red on red lights out we rocketed away on lap one we were half way up the field going quickest I had been until the throttle cable snapped, great joy another DNF - that’s racing!

But seriously to win you first need to finish and very well done to all the other teams in our championship. Which finished as per race one, well done Hayley and Sarah; Marianne and Kerry and Gerald and Daniel Hodgson taking first second and third trophies provided by Lane Building services. The fifty pounds donated by PAGID brakes was won by Marianne.

Thank you to all our sponsors and the Wirral 100 club for hosting our championship.